Open House Tours
Alnwick Grove Historical Society
Sunday Oct 28 1-4
2517 Fetter’s Mill Rd 19006
Fetter’s Mill at Fetter’s Mill Road and Pennypack Creek in Huntingdon Valley is a rare historic treasure. During the 18th and 19th centuries, more than 40 water powered mills operated on the 20 mile-long Pennypack Creek and its tributaries. The 5-story Fetter’s Mill, built circa 1750 by Joshua Morris and enlarged in the 1850’s by George Fetter, is the last one, essentially intact and exhibiting unaltered historic grist mill features. Local historian and Alnwick Grove Historical Society member Fred Moore will conduct tours of the mill and mill race and dam. Open to all.
Note: Fetter’s Mill Road Bridge, a metal through-truss bridge built 1883 and a historic treasurer in its own right, is currently closed to vehicular traffic, but safe for foot traffic. Best access to the mill is from Huntingdon Pike via the bridge across from the Bryn Athyn Post Office (999 Fetters Mill Rd). Near and on-site parking is limited. Consider parking at the Pennypack Trails parking lot at Welsh Rd and Terwood Rd and walking the scenic 3/4 mile along the creek to the mill on the old Philadelphia to Newtown Railroad track-bed recently converted as part of the Rails-to-Trails Project.
Also: Local artist Donnette Glenn will be featured at Fetter’s Mill on Saturday, Oct 27, 10 AM- 6 PM.
You must be logged in to post a comment.